Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Kingdom: Introduction

This trip has been in the works now for a long, long time, as has this post.  This is my third fourth attempt to finish it but the all consuming "life" has evidently swallowed me up.  My fishing buddies and I have always dreamed of some sort of destination trip to target larger fish or better fishing.  Grandiose ideas such as trout fishing Patagonia, the Amazon river for peacock bass, tarpon fishing in the flats of Florida or Mexico, or a puddle-jumper trip into the far reaches of Canadian wilderness for Musky, Pike and Lake trout have all been through our minds many times.  These extravagant trips must remain on the bucket list due to shallow pockets.  On the bright side, we still managed to make a commitment to doing a trip.  Certainly not as exotic, but every bit as special.  It began no more definite than any other idea, just that, an idea.  Some ideas grew into speculation but got squashed before making it to the drafting board, but two trips emerged as being the best and within reason.   Reasons being, time, money, and mostly lack thereof.

Idea #1
ID: A-30MA-8ZBAAS 
Codename: VINYAHD
Destination: Martha's Vineyard, Mass.
Goal: Camp, Bass, Surfcast
Price Range: $3 / $5
Pros: MV, Camping, MV in Late May/Early June, Janet Messineo's willingness to help find fish.
Cons: Logistics

Idea #2
ID: B-802VT-P1K3
Codename: LORD OF THE RINGS
Destination:  The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Goal: Rent, Trophy Northern Pike, Canoe/Boat various lakes.
Price Range: $2 / $5
Pros: 360degrees surrounded in wilderness and trophy pike water
Cons: Not Martha's Vineyard

I found myself leaning heavily towards Martha's Vineyard for a variety of reasons.  First and foremost, my fiance Laura and her family introduced me to the island about 7 years ago, we have been there every year since, and it truly is a special place.  Its history, sights, sounds, people, and certainly the fact that it is surrounded by prime Striped Bass waters make for a superb destination to vacation.  I could also picture living there as a permanent residence.  Of the time I have spent on the Island, I have fished it more and more often during these annual trips, and have become quite adept in finding fish while there.  I caught my first Albie while visiting, and last year my first through fourth Striped Bass on the fly rod.  My personal best Striped bass from the surf, and during one trip I had everyone fishing live eels at night from the beach and spent my time running between anglers putting new eels on, unhooking fish, and laughing.  During that same night I also witnessed a fish tear-off 3/4s of a large spool of braided line only to break off on a rock, a memory permanently singed into my brain.  There is no consolation in reeling in 600' of line to find your hook separated from the leader.  One day I'll catch that fish.

Despite the feelings of how much the island means to me and how badly I want to show those who are closest to me the Island's wonders, logistically speaking a short-term trip is almost not worth the trouble.  The 3.5 hour drive to the ferry, the hour plus ferry, and then probably another half hour on the island takes it's toll.  A week stay would be ideal, but work obligations and asking friends to spend a decent amount of money on Ferry charges and less than ideal.

So out of practicality, Idea #2 won the destination bachelor party heavyweight title.  We are heading to a private lake-house in The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.  This section of the state is huge, representing one-fifth of the state and containing over 200 lakes and ponds.  Our base station will be out of East Charleston on the shore of a lake in that town.  The house will provide many options for fishing some of the best pike waters in Vermont that annually produce fish in the 20lb. class.  We will also be near the origin of the CT river along the N.H. border where it resembles classic trout stream waters as opposed to the huge brown water we are used to seeing in CT.

The plan is for about ten guys to go do exactly what we should do, eat, sleep, drink, fish, repeat.  Should be a good time, we are stocking 6 canoes and a handful of kayaks, an insane amount of fishing gear from flyrods to spinning and casting gear, along with some of the best yard games available.  Wiffleball, cornhole, bocce, to name a few.
Additionally since most of my wedding party will be in attendance, I am bringing along some of my gifts to them as they will be indispensable while fishing this area.  A custom order from lure builder Nick Kemps of Lucky Shamrock Lures (Nick Kemps: Interview)  will be part of their gift; and of course I saved some for myself.  I can't wait to cast these lures, the thump they make in the water should attract some big fish.  Reports on fishing success and lure success to follow.

Ok, enough of boring everyone with words alone.  Recent fishing activity has been secret only because I didn't wish to jinx the bite.  I haven't had the time to commit to the salt, but a trout stream about 20 minutes from my front door has filled in the gap and has produced some awesome fish.  These are pictures of the better fish of four different trips.








I kept this one for my Dad

Big Eye on this 'Bow

Do Not Pass on Night Fishing
He turned during the Pic, Ohwell

Jon with a Nice Brown

Free to be Caught Some Other time.

Don't Try this at Home

....Because this is what happens.


Caught 10:15PM with My Mouse Fly in it's Mouth
























No comments:

Post a Comment