Friday, April 27, 2012

Buckle Down or Up and GO!

Big plans for this weekend.  I've had some of the best days (most successful) during my recent fishing outings.  The freshwater bite has been red hot (it's a dry heat?), everyone who fished during this past Sunday's rain was probably rewarded with a frequent and consistent bite.  My fishing partner and I managed three double hook-ups while fishing trout on the salmon river during the heaviest rain periods, with a number of other fish caught to boot.  And opposed to popular belief, the lucky strike is not just coming out of my corner of the ring, reports from all over are all pointing to great fishing opportunities.  Check out Kierran Broatch's report for On The Water Mag. through this link -->  Connecticut and Rhode Island Fishing Report 4-26-2012

Night Bass
Two separate outings on local ponds using a spot-remover flat-headed jig with a reaction innovation sweet beaver has been the ticket during the daylight hours to an hour after sunset.  Casting to shoreline structure to deeper structure such as rocks or logs using light mono-filament and a medium action spinning rod has been giving me some of the best results with Large-mouth bass.  After dark, I've been switching to a rebel popper 3" no color preference but I did add a dressed treble hook, that the pickerel have since destroyed, and I just redressed it for this weekend.

Brook Trout
I had some boat trailer issues over the last month in terms of repairs and trying to locate parts for a 1970s trailer, or getting little to no help from suppliers.  I choose not to talk about this here, there might be children reading.  Anyhow, I replaced the spring shackles, hubs, bearings, wheels, tires, and bearing buddies and finished last night!  If you see a lot of white smoke later this afternoon, don't call the fire department it's just me burning off the fogging oil.  So Friday night will be the big splash for my boat.  Saturday, I plan on fishing trout early, then eat, then fish freshwater for bass during the day, then fish stripers at night in the river.
Double, (the one on the left is A ok fyi)
Sunday, I plan on fishing stripers again if I had success at night, or hopefully it'll be a continuation of the same trip... you know to save on gas.  If the stripers don't cooperate, I'll either change locations or return to the trout bite.  Ok too much talking, time to get the show on the road.

Get out and get hooked, the house chores can wait.
                                -Matt

1 comment: