Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Hump

Being educated on something is to see that thing in a more intimate and comfortable way.  That something could be an idea, a hobby, an issue in society, etc. but until we become educated in some respect about that idea or issue we remain distant, reluctant, and unwilling.  So how does this relate to fishing?  We just grab a rod and go right?  March on down to the old pond and cast a wormed-up hook out there with our trusty red and white bobber, right?  Maybe... 

I don't see fishing as being that simple, and I haven't for many years.  The "hump" I am referring to has nothing to do with some piece of structure located by our fishing electronics, and it is certainly not holding fish.  Rather, the "hump" is a knowledge gap which invariably gets in the way of actually going fishing in a new way.  Here's an example,  I am comfortable fishing for bass, pike, and trout.  I am not as comfortable fishing for striped bass, or fishing in general on large rivers, however I want to fish for striped bass, from the surf, or in the river.  So I get ready to do this, plan everything, get all my tackle ready, lures, lines, leaders all those things so nothing goes wrong at least mechanically... and then I find myself fishing for pike, bass, or trout because it is comfortable, because I am educated on it.

The information gap for me has to do with a couple factors.  My father taught me how to fish for trout and bass in fresh water.  I am grateful for this and will always be.  I learned to fish for northern pike because they were in the same water as the smallmouth bass I fished for growing up, but the transition to salt water has been more difficult because I lack the information base of a mentor and plainly speaking I am not familiar with it.  Another major factor is the perception of ourselves doing something we are unfamiliar with.  One huge hurdle was learning how to fly fish, telling myself, it is okay to look like an idiot on the water.  Yes, I was the guy with fly line tangled over my back because I didn't really know how to cast, but I got over that hump.

This year I am setting a goal to fish out of my comfort zone.  I recently joined the Connecticut Surfcasters Association in hopes of meeting a few people that can help me get over the "hump" and teach me some techniques, educating me on Striped bass fishing.  I am willing to learn, and willing to put in the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment