Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Adventures in the ADKS: PART I

The next post will be part of a series of reflections and stories of the two years I spent living in the heart of the Adirondack state forest in Saranac Lake, NY.  During a point in my life where I felt I had to make a decision on what I wanted to do for my career, I had been working for a construction company as a foreman.  I enjoyed the work, and the company I was working for provided me with the freedom and responsibility of running my own projects.  However, I still felt that I did not “own” the work.  I could do the work, but the feeling of competency in situations that demanded sound answers escaped me.  I made the decision to look for schools with a land surveying degree preferably with a two year option since I had already been through four years of school, graduating from Eastern Connecticut State University with a Bachelor’s degree in English.  The timing of my departure from Connecticut was optimal due to the fact that my long time girlfriend Laura would be beginning her first two years as a high school biology and chemistry teacher.  The first year is demanding because of all the work that needs to be established, and the second year is when new teachers (at that time) would go through the BEST program essentially determining their fate as teachers (The BEST program has since been eliminated, and replaced with TEAM for you teachers out there.)

PART I.
From Route 86 between PSC and S.L., NY
After a visit to Paul Smith's College, a campus tour, a one on one meeting with Surveying Technologies Professor Robert Kraatz, and a course audit to find out which classes from Eastern would transfer, I knew I had found a great place to learn and develop.  After being accepted by the school for the fall semester of 2007, time flew by as I hurried and worked long summer hours to finish the project I was on so I could leave for school knowing the project was completed.  Two weeks before classes began I still did not have a place to live.  On a Sunday, not the best time to look for places to live, Laura and I visited Saranac Lake where I planned on buying some local papers and picking up some Ads for apartment listings. 
Route 3 Westbound between Plattsburg and Saranac Lake
We stopped in downtown Saranac Lake on Main Street for lunch at a place called Blue Moon Cafe.  I noticed a Sunoco gas station across the street from where we parked, and behind me a real estate building with the front door open, yes, on Sunday.  Laura and I walked in, and an old man was sitting at his desk wondering why we were standing in front of him.  Mr. Albert Stunzi was reluctant at best to offer showing me the apartment they had for rent in the same building, after pleading with him for about fifteen minutes I said if I liked it I would put a down payment on the place today.  He looked at me and said I’ll call Jeff.  Sometimes you just have to let the money do the talking.

 Jeff worked with his brother at the real estate agency and lived just outside of town.  He agreed to come down and show the apartment.  A small one bedroom apartment, that had a living room, a good sized kitchen and bathroom, with shared laundry, was exactly what I needed.  Not that it made any difference, I asked Jeff about theft in the area and he told me, “My keys are in my ignition right now, and my house is unlocked, have at it.”  I said, “Who do I make the check out to.”

My brother Josh agreed to help me move in.  The following weekend we towed a U-haul trailer behind my father’s truck from CT to Saranac Lake.  After five hours of driving through amazing scenery, I backed the truck up to the stairs and we started unloading right away.  After several trips, getting most of the bulky items inside, I started placing items where they would be for their time in New York as Josh continued to lug boxes and other hefty things up the stairs.  About an hour later, Josh, drenched in sweat said, “Forty-two,” I said, “Forty-two what?”  He let out an exhausted “STAIRS!”  Quickly evaluating the situation, I suggested we go fishing....

No comments:

Post a Comment